
Stay
UpdateD
Join the BPC
Email List
Stay up to date on exciting projects and upcoming events from the Black Promoters Collective.
President Donald Trump revoked Secret Service protection for Kamala Harris on Thursday, according to an official letter detailing the cancellation of the security detail, which CNN obtained.
Former President Joe Biden had extended Harris’ protection for another year shortly before leaving office in January, according to several insiders familiar with the previously undisclosed agreement, which is now being made public, CNN reported.
The standard six-month post-vice-presidency coverage for Harris ended July 21. Trump announced the cancellation, effective Sept. 1, in a letter titled “Memorandum for the Secretary of Homeland Security” on Thursday.
“You are hereby authorized to discontinue any security-related procedures previously authorized by Executive Memorandum, beyond those required by law, for the following individual, effective September 1, 2025: Former Vice President Kamala D. Harris,” the letter reads.
A Secret Service official also confirmed the news, per CNN.
The move comes just weeks before Harris kicks off her multicity book tour in September to promote her new memoir, 107 Days, which delves into her short presidential campaign and is set to be released Sept. 23.
“The Vice President is grateful to the United States Secret Service for their professionalism, dedication, and unwavering commitment to safety,” Kirsten Allen, a Harris senior adviser, told CNN.
Former vice presidents, their spouses and children under 16 generally receive Secret Service protection for up to six months after leaving office, as mandated by a law passed by Congress in 2008. Recent administrations have extended this period due to heightened security threats, according to CBS News.
Federal law states that a vice president can receive temporary, extended Secret Service protection beyond six months “if the Secretary of Homeland Security or designee determines that information or conditions warrant such protection,” CBS News reported.
The U.S. Secret Service conducted a threat assessment on Harris and did not find anything threatening or alarming that would warrant extending her security coverage, according to sources familiar with the matter, per CBS News.
Harris left office more than seven months ago, at the conclusion of the Biden administration in January. Her husband, Doug Emhoff, lost his Secret Service protection on July 21, per CNN. Harris will lose the agents assigned to protect her and her property in Los Angeles, according to the BBC.
The news has prompted other California officials, such as Gov. Gavin Newsom and Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass, to speak out on the issue.
“This is another act of revenge following a long list of political retaliation in the form of firings, the revoking of security clearances and more,” Bass initially told CNN, which first broke the story.
Stay up to date on exciting projects and upcoming events from the Black Promoters Collective.
©2025 Black Promoters Collective (BPC) All Rights Reserved.